Ingredients for Bars:
-1 2/3 cups sugar
-1 cup canola oil
-1 can pumpkin
-2 cups flour
-2 tsp baking powder
-3 heaping tsp cinnamon*
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp baking soda
-2 generous tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9x13 baking dish
2. Mix eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin with mixer until light and fluffy
3. Pour flour, powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice into a separate bowl and mix.
4. Pour flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and mix until batter is smooth
5. Pour batter into greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes
6. Wait until bars have completely cooled before frosting
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
-1 stick butter softened
-1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened (I used reduced fat and it worked well)
-3/4 cup confectioners sugar
-1-2 tsp vanilla extract (I just used 1 tsp and it was plenty)
1. Combine cream cheese and butter in bowl and mix until smooth
2. Gradually add confectioners sugar until you reach desired consistency
3. Stir in vanilla
A couple notes:
-Instead of frosting the bars all at once before cutting them I kept the frosting in a separate container in the fridge and frosted each individual bar before eating. This is a good idea if you are going to be eating on the bars over a course of several days-I just feel like it helps them keep better. However, if you're going to be taking them to a party you can go ahead and frost the whole pan at once if you desire.
-I also stored the bars in the fridge to help them stay fresh longer.
fresh out of the oven
cut into bars
container of frosting
frosted and ready to enjoy!